Doctors referring patients to Therapeutic Massage
Due to all the research available in this modern age, Specialist in many different fields are more often referring their patients for massage therapy. It is becoming more accepted and known for its healing power. In fact, national research has shown that a typical massage therapist receives four referrals from physicians each month. Doctors who have taken the time to learn about massage often refer their patients who could benefit from this great therapy.
A few of the specialist who refer their patients include:
- General practitioner doctors
- Orthopedic doctors
- OBGyn doctors
- Physical Therapists
How to get a referral from your doctor
It has been proven that massage therapy can greatly improve medical problems such as migraines, injured muscles, poor circulation and lower back pain. Usually, your health insurance company will only cover the expense of massage therapy if your primary care physician refers you to one.
- Schedule an appointment with your doctor. Speak with your doctor about your injury or condition and make sure you request a referral for massage therapy. For each massage therapy session, you have, you will need a current or valid referral or Rx. This referral should have the following information: beginning date, how many visits are prescribed, frequency of sessions and any insurance codes used for your condition or injury. You can also request a recommendation from your doctor of good massage therapy centers, and perhaps one that can provide a focus on your specific condition.
- Locate a Massage Therapist. When you decide on a trusted Massage therapy clinic, like Therapeutic Massage, you will want to confirm that your therapy services will be covered by your insurance before you scheduled your appointment. Call your insurance company and get a confirmation that your plan will cover massage therapy. You will also want to be sure that your insurance will cover services from the massage therapy clinic you have chosen. Lastly, check that the therapist has a valid license for your state.
- Discuss your treatment options. Massage therapists are typically trained in specific techniques. Talk to your therapists about what techniques he or she offers and talk about what treatment plan would be best for your condition or injury. Make sure you feel comfortable with your massage therapists before you schedule an appointment.
- Make an appointment. As you make your appointment, check with your massage therapist if they can bill your insurance company directly so that you do not have to claim it yourself. If you do claim the therapy yourself, request a “superbill”, which is a form given you from your massage therapist that allows you to claim services yourself through your insurance provider. Be sure to bring your referral with you to your appointment.