Many people may not be aware that massages can be covered by insurance. While it depends on your specific insurance plan, many insurance companies will cover massage therapy if a doctor prescribes it for a medical condition. If you have a condition such as chronic pain or a muscle injury, your massage therapy sessions may be covered under your insurance plan. Many types of massages are eligible for such subsidized care.
Insurance companies often cover a variety of massage techniques, from classic stroking and compression to more advanced modalities, such as percussion manipulation, traction, and lymphatic drainage.
How to Get Your Massage Therapy Covered
You must first consult your doctor to get your massage therapy covered by insurance. Medical massage can be a powerful technique for treating many ailments, ranging from chronic pain to post-injury recovery. For the treatment’s effectiveness and coverage eligibility, doctors must recognize an actual condition that may benefit from its effects.
Once you have the prescription, you need to reach out to your insurance company to determine their specific coverage requirements. They may require pre-authorization, meaning you must submit your prescription and any other relevant medical information to the insurance company for approval before you can start receiving massage therapy.
Conditions that Massage Therapy Can Help Treat include:
Consult your physician to see if massage is a viable treatment option if you have any of the following conditions:
- Soft tissue injuries
- Car accident injuries
- Sports injuries
- Chronic Pain
- Myofascial pain syndrome
- TMJ (Temporomandibular joint pain)
- Post-surgical rehabilitation
- Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
The American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) lists a variety of reasons why someone may seek out massage therapy. These include:
- Relieve stress
- Relieve postoperative pain
- Reduce anxiety
- Manage low-back pain
- Help fibromyalgia pain
- Reduce muscle tension
- Enhance exercise performance
- Relieve tension headaches
- Sleep better
- Ease symptoms of depression
- Improve cardiovascular health
- Reduce the pain of osteoarthritis
- Decrease stress in cancer patients
- Improve balance in older adults
- Decrease rheumatoid arthritis pain
- Temper effects of dementia
- Promote relaxation
- Lower blood pressure
- Decrease symptoms of Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
- Help chronic neck pain
- Lower joint replacement pain
- Increase range of motion
- Decrease migraine frequency
- Improve the quality of life in hospice care
- Reduce chemotherapy-related nausea
Questions to Ask About Massage Therapy Coverage
Now that you have ascertained the efficacy of massage therapy to treat your condition, it is time to check with your insurance provider. Make sure they are ready and able to cover these treatments so you can get back on track.
When reaching out to your insurance company, there are a few questions you should ask to ensure that you understand their coverage requirements:
- What is the process for getting pre-authorization for massage therapy?
- Are there any specific massage therapy providers that are covered under my plan?
- How many massage therapy sessions are covered per year?
- Are there any out-of-pocket costs that I will need to pay?
- Are there any limits on the type of massage therapy covered (e.g. deep tissue massage, Swedish massage)?
It’s important to note that insurance coverage for massage therapy may vary depending on your state. So it’s best to check with your insurance company to understand your specific coverage. With the proper prescription and information, it is possible to have massage therapy covered under insurance.
Here are a Few More Tips To Note About Massage Therapy Insurance Coverage:
- If you require special medical care, insurance coverage may be available for visits to healthcare professionals such as osteopaths, chiropractors, and therapists who specialize in massage treatments.
- Some insurance plans consider massage therapy a form of “maintenance” and, therefore, may only cover the treatment if it is deemed medically necessary and a significant improvement is expected after several sessions.
Ready to experience the healing benefits of massage and bodywork and have your insurance cover the cost? Our clinic is open and prepared to provide you with the best massage and bodywork treatments, with convenient insurance billing options available. Take the first step towards a happier, healthier you, and book your appointment today. Let us help you feel your best, and take advantage of our insurance billing options for maximum convenience. Contact us now to schedule your appointment and start experiencing the benefits of therapeutic massage and bodywork.